Black Bean Hummus
1 lb dry black beans
2 quarts (distilled) water
1 medium yellow onion, diced 1/2"
1 medium red pepper, diced 1/2"
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
2 tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos (optional)
- Soak black beans in cold water, 1-2 hours. Drain.
- Boil 2 quarts water, add beans and next 7 ingredients.
- Simmer 1.5 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove from stove and cool slightly.
- Puree beans in food processor adding enough of the cooking liquid to make a smooth paste.
- Remove and place in bowls. Fold in optional cilantro and Bragg. Adjust seasonings and refrigerate until cool.